Mutual Consent Divorce

Under Section 13-B of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, the parties can seek divorce by mutual consent by filing a petition before the court. Mutual consent means that both the parties agree for peaceful separation.

Mutual consent divorce is the easiest and quickest way to dissolve the existing marriage. It is when both the spouses agree mutually to put an end to the marriage without putting litigations against one another in the court of law.   

Section 13-B Hindu Marriage Act 1955  states that in order to seek divorce by mutual consent both the parties are required under law top present a petition for dissolving their marriage on the grounds that they have been staying separately for more than one year and that they have mutually agreed and consented and decided to dissolve their marriage.

Steps involved in getting mutual divorce:

  Joint Petition

  Appearance of parties

  Scrutiny of the Petition by Court

 Recording of statement and passing of the order on First Motion

 Second Motion

  Decision of the Court


Learn to take the right steps